Q&A Commonly Asked Questions
Question: Are you an approved homeschool vendor?
Answer: Yes! I am approved with both Monarch River Academy and Yosemite Valley Charter Schools. For homeschool families, this means you can use your charter funding to incorporate music education into your homeschool day! This is a benefit to ALL students and parents, since this process includes being background checked, fingerprinted, and insured!
Question: Do you have a teacher contract?
Question: What is a good age to begin lessons?
Answer: 4.5 is about the earliest I would recommend, if they are mature enough. About 5 years old is a good age to begin. The indicators would be being able to recognize letters A through G and numbers 1 through 5 (even if they can't write them yet) and having a general understanding of left and right and up and down directions. Necessary motor skills would be the ability to wiggle each finger by itself. I specialize in teaching young beginners, but I also accept older beginners.
Question: What curriculum do you use?
Answer: I teach using the Faber Piano Adventures collection. This method establishes learning through finger numbers initially and eases the student seamlessly into music reading in no time. I also spend special focus and use learning games to help beginner students easily identify all of the keys on the keyboard as they also learn how to read music.
Question: What is your service area?
Answer: I teach primarily in East Clovis and North Sanger, but as long as you live within about 15 minutes of my home, that should work for me. If you live out of my service area, you can consider coming to lessons at my home studio or I can gladly refer you to Hammons Piano to find another teacher who works your area. Brian Hammons Piano
Question: Do you have a home studio?
Answer: I do teach a limited number of students in my home, usually in cases where you may live out of my service area but wish to use me as a teacher anyway. Other circumstances in your home may make you feel more comfortable having lessons in my home studio instead. So, while most parents prefer to take advantage of my mobile teaching, I understand that occasional exceptions may be made. (Please note my home would not be suitable for a child with strong dog or cat allergies.)
Question: Are books included in tuition prices?
Answer: No, books are not included but are priced very reasonably (usually around $5 to $7 each) and are available on Amazon or your local music store (such as Gottschalk Music Store in Old Town Clovis). If your child is homeschooled, the cost of books may be covered through your child's school.
Question: Do you teach voice lessons?
Answer: Yes! I love helping singers reach their vocal goals! Whether it's broadening the vocal range, increasing confidence, exploring new songs and styles, or learning to navigate sheet music, I'm happy to share knowledge from my extensive background in classical singing (including foreign languages).
As spots are limited, I sometimes recommend my friend Audriana Vargas. She has a home studio in Laton and also teaches virtual lessons.
Vargas Voice | Laton CA | Facebook
Vargas Voice - Vargas Voice (mymusicstaff.com)
Question: Do I need to own a piano before my child starts lessons?
Answer: While it is preferred to own a piano or full keyboard already, some parents want to gauge their child's interest before they make the investment or choose to get their child started in lessons while they shop around for a piano. In these cases, you may choose to begin lessons in my home studio and transition to lessons in your home once you acquire your instrument.
Question: What kind of piano do I need?
Answer: Any acoustic piano in good working condition and recent (within the last year) tuning. If you have a "real" piano, it is very important that it is in good tune so that your student can develop their "ear" for music. That a "C" sounds like a "C" etcetera. If you're not sure if your piano is in tune, I can check it with a simple tuning app and if it's flat, I can refer you to a tuning specialist. The damper pedal (the one on the right) must also be in good working order.
Question: Are keyboards and electric pianos acceptable?
Answer: Yes! It just needs to meet some criteria. The keys need to be "weighted" which means that they feel and function like a real piano. If you press them softly, they play quietly, and if you press them hard, they play louder. You will also need to make sure it is a full size 88 key keyboard, that it comes equipped with a document holder to rest the music book on, and that it has a stand (I usually avoid the X shape stands, because they tend to get in the way of your legs), and a damper pedal attachment. I greatly prefer fixed position pedals over plug in options that slide around on the floor. I always recommend sticking to "name brands" such as Yamaha, Casio, Donner, Roland, and Kawai.
When it comes to keyboards, the LESS buttons, bells, and whistles, the better. All those fancy voices and functions will send your student's attention running at the accidental or intentional press of a button. I prefer simple models that just have a power button and a volume control. That's it! If you're not sure if the keyboard you're looking at is a good one, I'd be happy to help steer you in the right direction.














Comments
Post a Comment